A few weeks ago I went to the launch of a new book called “Sweet Treats for a Sugar-Filled Life” by Jessie Oleson.
Jessie writes for the very popular site called Cakespy, a dessert detective agency. I bought the book and spent a week perusing the fun photos and awe inspiring desserts but also thinking “that just looks crazy, I couldn’t possibly make it.” There was one dessert however that I thought, “not only does that look good, I bet it tastes amazing.” It was a recipe for cakes grilled in orange casings. Who doesn’t love chocolate and orange?
Although, I didn’t follow the recipe, it gave me a wonderful idea to try something out. I decided to make my go to Chocolate Chip Cupcakes, which I adapted from a recipe I found on one of my favorite sites, My Baking Addiction. I thought I would make 4 of them in the orange shells for my friends who were staying with me for a few days and the rest as normal cupcakes – just in case they didn’t turn out as planned. This was going to be interesting.
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each, then beat in vanilla.
- With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with sour cream and beginning and ending with flour. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Dessert was served to my dinner party of 4. We all looked at each other, forks in hand and hesitantly dug into the oranges. A sly look, a little smile and then a collective “oh my goodness, these are so good!”
Rich moist chocolate cake with a hint of tangy orange and sweet, creamy sugar frosting. Definitely going into my make again collection and I am making all 12!
They were amazing!